Wednesday, August 05, 2009

My Two Lives



So here I am! I'm back in Uganda! This has been the shortest time between two trips I've ever experienced. But it felt just right. I'm so glad I was able to get my job back at the museum temporarily (it's true! I'm glad)! And thank you Bob Martin for that! I really loved seeing old friends and family, going for coffee, after coffee (I love you Timmie's) with different people, walking around downtown Calgary and seeing the changes and though I was freezing, it was also nice to see snow.


Now, to the other life I lead in the hot, dusty and beautiful backdrop of Uganda! I have to say that I'm slightly bummed that I am so used to this life now and the things that used to bring wonder and amazement to me are just normal occurrences. Sigh...I very rarely have those "omg I'm in Africa" moments. But I do feel at home and that's a nice feeling. When I went to town the other day, I saw a few people who remembered me and were very excited to see me back. One of the supermarket owners gave me a free soda and asked, "How was Canada?"! The boda boda's I usually use for travelling to and from base were still there and happy to give me a ride.

I'm off again tomorrow to Jinja, a 9 hour journey, to continue helping implement Ang Tulay, grief counseling for children. We're gone for close to one month before we end up back in Arua again! I can't believe how fast time is going already!

No comments: