Sunday, May 04, 2008

Normally Strange

I left the base today to run a few errands and had one of those strange, looking at my life from the outside moments. There I was, on the back of my motorbike boda, watching the palm trees go by, the children waving, the women carrying basins of bananas and avocados on their heads. There I was carrying 3 kilos of peanuts I had roasted and peeled, to be ground on the corner in a tiny machine that makes THE best peanut butter you've ever tasted! There I was popping by the tailor's house to see if he could make a skirt for me. There I was greeting my friends in one of the small food stores in town.

It's strange how normal life becomes here and how strangely un-normal it is all at the same time. That's all.

3 comments:

Té la mà Maria - Reus said...

very good blog, congratulations
regard from Catalonia Spain
thank you

mikey g said...

real or surreal as long as you are enjoying it and feel the the joy and exhiliration of it.

Tanya said...

Wow, I'm so glad I'm not the only one who has these sorts of "normal" but "not" moments! I'm constantly amazed by how God just made some of us to fit into these odd little scenes, which are so not odd at the same time :)

You're so close to here, and yet so far away! I'm sure that at some point, though, one of us is going to be in the other's place and we can sit and swap stories for a while... or you can just come and use the high speed VSAT connection we've got here :)