Monday, June 25, 2007

Back From Sudan; In Arua

We left Yei at something crazy like 2:30 or 3:30 in the morning. I can't believe I slept most of the way to the border because those roads are nasty and the bus kept leaning in ways that made me wonder if we'd even make it to the border. The trip from Yei to Arua was around six hours long and what was left of the team would be leaving the next day for Kampala, then flying out to South Africa. I had to decide if I was staying or going with them by the time we got back to Arua.

As we sat in the coffee shop in Arua, I decided that if my bank card worked in the local bank's ATM machine (because I had no money left after the 2 month outreach), that I would stay in Arua. As I walked through town to the bank machine, I realized how much I wanted to stay and when my card worked and out came the Ugandan shillings I was thrilled!

The next morning I said good-bye to my students and co-leader and then back at the base I sat and wondered..."what have I done?!" :) But I'm so thankful I stayed to be able to experience all that I did and to grow some very important friendships there.

Back From Sudan; In Arua

No comments: