Wednesday, October 26, 2005

I Like Books

Well, I am onto a new book that a couple of my DTS students recommended to me. I'm trying sooooo hard not to get too worked up about it, but this guys thoughts are my thoughts sometimes! It's helping me to realize I'm not the only one with these doubts and questions about Christianity. I realize a lot of Christians, not just non-Christians have been hurt and disappointed by the church and they are looking for something. Desiring something so much more. Desiring Jesus Himself, which is the point isn't it?

Well, anyway, here's my quote for the day from Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller.

"Rick....asked us if we thought we needed to repent and start loving people who were different from us. We all told him yes, we did, but I don't think any of us knew what that meant. Rick said he thought it meant we should live missional lives, that we should intentionally befriend people who are different from us. I didn't like the sound of that, to be honest. I didn't want to befriend somebody just to trick them into going to my church. Rick said that was not what he was talking about. He said he was talking about loving people just because they exist-homeless people and Gothic people and gays and fruit nuts. And then I liked the souond of it. I liked the idea of loving people just to love them , not to get them to come to church. If the subject of church came up, I would tell them about [his church], but until then, who cared. So we started praying every week that God would teach us to live missional lives, to notice people who needed to be loved."

Then he writes this part at the end of the chapter that makes me laugh out loud at first and then go hmmmmmmm....


"So here is a step-by-step formula for how you too, can go to church without getting angry:


*pray that God will show you a church filled with people who share your interests and values


*Go to the church God shows you

*Don't hold grudges against any other churches. God loves those churches almost as much as He loves yours."


I like this author cuz God gives me hope through His writing and I've met a handful of people who are trying to live this life of "Christian spirituality" differently and that gives me hope too.

And that's all for today.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nicole,
Thanks for sharing your insights today. This guy really is onto to something that resonates with me..love people for who they are...love, Mom.