Saturday, July 09, 2005

Foolishness

Once again, I have a quote from the same book that, yes, I am STILL reading. Sometimes I am choked by the weight of these words; sometimes I laugh at how true they are in my life and sometimes, I want to throw this book across the room in frustration...well anyway, here goes...

"Inspection stickers used to have printed on the back 'Drive carefully - the life you save may be your own.' That is the wisdom of men in a nutshell. What God says, on the other hand, is 'The life you save is the life you lose.' In other words, the life you clutch, hoard, guard, and play safe with is in the end a life worth little to anybody, including yourself; and only a life given away for love's sake is a life worth living. To bring his point home, God shows us a man who gave his life away to the extent of dying a national disgrace without a penny in the bank or a friend to his name. In terms of men's wisdom, he was a perfect fool, and anybody who thinks he can follow him without making something like the same kind of fool of himself is laboring under not a cross but a delusion. -Frederick Buechner"

-Reaching for the Invisible God by Philip Yancey

!!!Wow!!!

I keep wondering, am I trying too hard to keep my life to myself for fear that if I allow God to do whatever He wants with my life, others may consider me foolish?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I youst to think that it would be so cool to be thought foolish or stupid or geeky (does anyone say geeky anymore?)for my faith. I thought it would be kind of cool and alternative and all that. Then I droped out of school and went to the other side of the world and some people did. My familly, some friends, a girlfriend and it kind of crushed me and hurt so much. But I think that I thought that back when I thought that if you were just folling God enough ihe would make everything...nice. Which I no longer think at all, but I know he's still always good. To bad good doesn't equil nice or comfortable. Wisdome alwys seems to come at a heavy price doesn't it?

Mike

Michelle said...

Do you ever step back and think, if I ma this neurotic about myself, then others must be the same and if we are all so worried about how we appear to others then who is really paying attention anyway? They might sneer for a milisecond before going back to wondering who is watching them and who is judging them. I'm not saying that makes it easier to live courageously but it helps me to remember that when I feel like a fool. The thing that makes my skin crawl a little with shame is to remember how passionate I was as a young Christian and how judgemental I am of that same passion in others now. Is it inevitable that we lose our first faith or have I let it wither to be repalced with cynicism??