Friday, June 03, 2005

Lord, To Whom Shall I Go?

So, the job's goin' ok, except today I spilled boiling water over my hand and was out of commission for a good half hour during the busiest time of our day! Grrrrr!!!! That was dumb! Well, all the more reason to look forward to spending the weekend at my friend's cabin in the mountains of BC!

Thought I'd share a passage from a book a very wise leader and good friend gave to me before I left South Africa. It's from "Reaching for the Invisible God" by Philip Yancey...

"Examining my own periods of faithlessness, I see in them all manner of unbelief. Sometimes I shy away for lack of evidence, sometimes I slink away in hurt or disillusionment, and sometimes I turn aside in willful disobedience. Something, though, keeps drawing me back to God. What? I ask myself.

'This is a hard teaching. Who can accept it?' said Jesus' disciples in words that resonate in every doubter. Jesus' listeners found themselves simultaneously attracted and repelled, like a compass needle brought close to a magnet. As his words sank in, one by one the crowd of onlookers and followers slouched away, leaving only the Twelve. 'You do not want to leave too, do you?' Jesus asked them in a tone somewhere between plaintiveness and resignation. As usual, Simon Peter spoke up: 'Lord, to whom shall we go?'

That, for me, is the bottom-line answer to why I stick around. To my shame, I admit that one of the strongest reasons I stay in the fold is the lack of good alternatives, many of which I have tried. 'Lord, to whom shall I go?' The only thing more difficult than having a relationship with an invisible God is having no such relationship."

2 comments:

Jess said...

Very true. But remember that God is limitless and anything you do, He is right there beside you. He knows your thoughts and actions before you do, so just go with the flow. You don't have to be in a job or a career field directly related with Christianity to please God. He is even pleased that you are working in a coffee shop, because you are doing something. By fearing you are not doing something that is directly related with what most would call "God's work" is severely limiting who God created you to be. He is limitless in His love and in His power, and by being Christians, we are limitless because of His love and His power. Don't be afraid to try new things, don't be afraid to settle down and grow some roots. Everywhere you go, whether it's South Africa or the little coffee shop down the street, you are touching lives just by your smile. Being happy involves balance, and being in balance means going forward. I love you girl, but you are in a RUT, and YOU need to pull yourself out of it. God is always with you, HE LOVES YOU, and in loving you, he is happy with whatever you do. Do not let other people try to define who you should be. Look at the following lyrics from Kelly Clarkson's Breakaway. I heard these just before everything in my life changed. And everything in my life changed because I was no longer afraid to get hurt. I had closed my eyes and allowed myself to fall, knowing God would catch me. My faith delivered me. And look how it has changed me. I love you girl. ~Jess

"Trying hard to reach out
But when I tried to speak out
Felt like no one could hear me
Wanted to belong here
But something felt so wrong here
So I prayed I could break away

I’ll spread my wings
And I’ll learn how to fly
I’ll do what it takes
Till I touch the sky
And I’ll make a wish, take a chance, make a change
And break away


Out of the darkness
And into the sun
But I won’t forget all the ones that I love
I’ll take a risk, take a chance, make a change
And break away

Anonymous said...

Man Vaughn is so sexy and cool. |(he's the one that gave you the book right? Right!) I@m in Swakopmund...you'd love it...I chaised flamingos! Sorry I don't have time to give a worthy responce here. But I will in 2 weeks.

Mike